My client aims to revolutionise the automotive industry through 3D printing. Their patented production system incorporates 3D printed Nodes, which are combined with lightweight standardized materials using a patented joining system to create strong and efficient complex structures. Their technology eliminates tooling and drives innovation, capital reduction, and sustainability in vehicle manufacturing.
My client is seeking an experienced and motivated senior engineer to support advancing their production system through the evolution and maturation of tools to support 3D printing build file preparation and optimization.
- This individual will advance the techniques for support structure optimization, with the opportunity to add to our patent portfolio in this area.
- This senior engineer will also have the responsibility to manage distortion and error reduction activities, helping to insure part tolerance accuracy.
- Work with supplied CAD files to prepare build files for 3D printing.
- Provide Design for Additive Manufacturing input to engineering teams to collaborate in making optimized parts for complex, multi-material vehicle structures.
- Continually pursue improvements for support material reduction, part packing density, powder egress, and build success rate.
- Evaluate and recommend software tools that can help to achieve production goals.
- Develop approach for optimizing 3-dimensional build layout and part nesting in support of achieving printer productivity rates.
- Follow defined procedures and processes and help to create them where needed.
- Generate build time estimates in support of program planning and execution.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 2+ years’ experience using CAD and CAM tools to support production of 3D printed metal components.
- Experience with applications such as Netfabb and simufact.
- Solid interpersonal skills with the ability to interface with engineering and manufacturing groups to understand process constraints and provide design inputs for improved printability.
- Computational Geometry or Parametric Modelling experience a plus.